Note: This is an example procedure only. It is specific to the processes and the online accounting application used by Colkea.
Complete these steps to issue a purchase order after determining the goods or services you need to purchase for the business:
- Log in to Saasu accounting.
- From the menu select Add then Purchase.
Result: The Add purchase screen is displayed.
- Select Purchase Order from the Type dropdown.
- Start to enter the seller's name in the Contact box. As you enter the name, the contacts containing these letters are listed. Select the name of the seller.
Note: If the name is not listed, select the plus sign (+) and add the seller as a contact.
- The Date defaults to today's date. If you are preparing the purchase order in advance, select the Date box, and select or enter the date you intend to issue the purchase order.
- Enter the Purchase Order # in the format PO-<sequence number>.
- Enter a Summary of the goods or services you are purchasing, e.g. Colour printer cartridges.
- Complete the following details for each type of item you are purchasing from this supplier:
- Description - Enter a description of the goods or services being purchased, e.g. Cyan x 2.
- Account - Select the expense account from the dropdown, e.g. Expense: Printing/Stationary.
- Tags - Start to enter the tag. As you enter the tag, the tags containing these letters are listed. Select the required tags.
Note: You must select either EM, for an entity maintenance related expense, or PSI, for a personal services income related expense.
- Tax Code - Select the tax code for the type of goods or services you are purchasing. Most purchases have a tax code of G11 (expense includes GST).
- Amount - Enter the cost of the items. Amounts are generally entered including GST, e.g. $11 ($10 + $1 GST).
Note: If the item cost on the invoice is shown excluding GST, unselect the check box above the Amount label. If GST is applicable for the tax code selected, GST is then calculated and added automatically.
- If you are purchasing more than one type of item, select the plus sign (+) beside the line item you just completed and enter the details for the additional items.
- Check the details on the purchase order are correct and select Save.
Note: The values of purchase orders are not included in financial reports, e.g. the profit and loss summary report.
- Email a PDF of the purchase order to the seller using the purchase order template.
Result: The seller delivers the goods or provides the services and issues an invoice. See Checking an invoice before payment.